I want my life to come down to two words: I'm Yours.

I want my life to come down to two words:
I'm Yours.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

worry and stress

"When I am consumed by my problems-stressed out about my life, my family, and my job-I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important that God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a "right" to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities."
Crazy Love, by Francis Chan
I'm reading through Crazy Love for a second time within the past few months because I felt some need to regain a passion for eternity. This past summer was the best of my life. Every week we filled with great events and places to go, people to meet, and of course I thought it to be grand. I learned a lot, grew a lot, and had encouraging people around me all the time.

But then I came home.

Not long after coming home, I slowly started having less consistent quiet times... feeling less passion for Jesus... less hope about the future. I didn't want to live this way. I had worries and stress about many things that the future holds for me. And then I read these words:
"Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives. Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control."
Crazy Love, by Francis Chan
Thinking what I'm thinking? W
ow. Just wow. Exactly what I needed to hear. So often I fall into worry and stress, because I lack the faith to trust God in His sovereign and good plans. You can't find a perfect stress remover plan. You can't have all your worries taken away by psychology or from a book. It comes from the Lord. Our stress and our worry are results of not trusting Him. So, naturally should we reverse our trend and tending toward worry and stress, it will come when we trust in the Lord.

How are you doing with worry and stress? Are you willing to truly give them over to God in a faith that trusts Him to do all that He promises?
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

3 comments:

  1. I probably don't really need to tell you that the timing was perfect. :)
    Thanks for the post. It is so hard to surrender my worries to God, probably because it means surrendering my plans too. But when it comes down to the cost/benefit analysis, choosing "straight paths" over my control, worry, and stress, seems like a good plan to me.
    Another thought: the verse you ended with said "in all your ways acknowledge Him," and when I'm stressed out, I'm not acknowledging His sovereignty in my life. hmmm...
    Anyway, thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this, Quin. I'm feeling a lot like Rachel: "It is so hard to surrender my worries to God, probably because it means surrendering my plans too." But I'm realizing...What sweeter, more joyful place could there be? When we refuse to trust, totally trust, in a Sovereign God, we're missing out! We're missing out on the joy! We're missing out on the peace He wants to gives us. How easy it is to know God is trustworthy and know that we should trust Him. But oh, to actually live in that kind of surrender! That's what I long for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this. I kind of wish I'd read it earlier. :) I echo Lauren and Rachel's thoughts. I think that worry is the hardest thing for me to truly surrender. For some reason, it feels like I have a right to worry, which probably stems from the idea that "this is my life and I need to keep control of it." So... I think by throwing the idea that 'this is my life' out the window, a lot of things would be surrendered. After all, if we have no real control over our life because it's completely in God's hands, we can't logically worry about it anyway. So, thanks for the reminder again. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete