I want my life to come down to two words: I'm Yours.

I want my life to come down to two words:
I'm Yours.

Friday, October 1, 2010

humility (part i)

Paul is my favorite new testament author and probably my favorite out of all the men that God used to record His holy scriptures... When I come to the book of Philippians I am so incredibly challenged. And should this passage have the right affect, it provides a change in lifestyle so that you are then encouraged by reading it.

Philippians 2:1-4 is that for me. I want to be more like Christ. I don't want to look humble. I want to be humble.
1If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,
2then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.
3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
4Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.
Philippians 2:1-4

The way that C.J. Mahaney explains it is that, "Humility is always our greatest friend, and pride is always our greatest enemy."

Be encouraged today by this passage to not look to only your own interests, but also to the interests of others remembering to consider others better than yourselves. Pursue Jesus today.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! Especially timely for us debaters as the season kicks off...
    As people, we're kind of programmed to "look out for our own interests" first. It truly does take a total transformation to put us in a place where we are constantly others-focused.
    Thought from CS Lewis:
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less."

    ReplyDelete