I want my life to come down to two words: I'm Yours.

I want my life to come down to two words:
I'm Yours.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

simple work

13 months ago I felt that God was leading me to end the job where I had been working for a neighbor's animal farm and begin anew with a job in the "real workforce."

I wanted to work close to home so that I could have easy transportatio
n and I thought that working part-time at a restaurant, fast-food or otherwise, would be a fantastic beginning.

I asked my mom to drive me around the area, and I picked up applications for about six different places. The first on my list was a Subway shop in Damascus, my little town five minutes away from my h
ouse. I headed in, turned in my application to the manager, and explained how excited I was about the opportunity to potentially work there.

Within a week the half-owner of the store called me up, asked me to come in for an interview, and hired me right then and there. I was astonished. Could God really bring me a job where I would work 10-25 hours a week that q
uickly? I guess so. The Lord really provided.

Through the money I made, I was able to travel around with competition in the NCFCA as well as with TeenPact. I am a very blessed individual. Once the owners of my store found out I was gone more than not during the spring, they asked me if I would take a leave. While it was sad to hear this, it was actually one of the best things that has happened to me. It made for a lot more time
to work on my speech and debate skills and research while also being able to travel around with TeenPact and Worldview Academy in the summer. I was so blessed by this.

When I got home after staffing WVA, I was amazed to find out that my manager had recently called and wanted me back on. Wow? Really, God? Your blessings are too much!

So, I've worked about 7 months or so with my Subway and th
rough it I have learned a lot about a strong work ethic, consistency, and faithfulness. It's simple work. Every night I'm on the schedule I go in and do the same ol' things... making sandwiches, cleaning the shop, and closing up. An unknown author once said, "Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."

It's when I think things are simple, the same -mundane... when God just blows my mind.

The other night I was working my usual closing shift during dinner time and I had a good "rush" of people ... about seven or so with a total of about 11 sandwiches. I made my sandwiches with precision and excellence as I love to the pursuit of doing your best. All the while I was getting encouraging comments, because I was the only one
working. "You're doing a fabulous job!" "Hey, that's a great sandwich!" And then one gentleman made a statement that made smile big. "If everyone worked as hard as you do, then our country is on a comeback." The man and his friend left a good tip and all I could say is, "I'm all for that."

The point of this long post is to show you that God blesses the undeserving. He will blow your mind. His grace will never cease to amaze you.

"If God's grace is an ocean, we're all sinking."
-John Mark McMillan

4 comments:

  1. God is incredible. Couldn't help smiling the whole time reading through the post. Pure awesomeness that you see Him so clearly in your life!
    Thanks for the encouragement to see what hides behind the label of ordinary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good post Quin! And I love that quote by John Mark McMillan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool, Quin. It's so cool that people can tell that you have a different attitude and you work differently. And this is how it should always be! Christians should be the best workers, because we're working for an eternal reward. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete