I want my life to come down to two words: I'm Yours.

I want my life to come down to two words:
I'm Yours.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

when you look different...

dif·fer·ent

1 : partly or totally unlike in nature, form, or quality

I think it was January of this year when I got a quote from Kate Bradley, which stated a great truth in a rather amusing way, "Be a fruitloop in a world full of cheerios."

I love that. I think that's what we're supposed to be -as Christians. We are supposed to be different.

Scripture has numerous descriptions of what we are supposed to be in relation to the world and in relationship to our God. Both are very interconnected. Our relationship with God is what spurs us on to be what we are supposed to be to the world.

One example is the vine and the branches: He is the vine. We are the branches. The world? -Those hungry, thirsty, dying, in need.

Another is that Jesus called Himself the "Light of the world" in John 8:12. He said, "
Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Then in Mathew 5 Jesus told His followers, "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden... In the same way let your light shine before men so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven." God is the source of light that He gives us to shine in a dark world... a world that is again -in need.

The point, I think, is that we are called to be different. Why? -because we are different. God has transformed us. Why would we want to live as if we were still in bondage if we've been set free?

Jesus said this in John 15:
“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.

We are to be different. For we haven been chosen out of this world! That's so exciting! God has such a deep, powerful love for us that it transforms our lives. He has chosen us, the least deserving, to enter heaven's glories. To enter into communication, communion, and relationship with the Holy One. God is too great.

So tell me, what is it like when you look different to the world?

1 comment:

  1. When we look different to the world, it's not only an example for them of something higher, but it's a beautiful transition within ourselves to be godly and not worldly. If we truly follow everything God said to be, it's obvious, and that's such an exciting part - true holiness is undeniable! 1 Peter 2:12 "Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."

    ReplyDelete