I want my life to come down to two words: I'm Yours.

I want my life to come down to two words:
I'm Yours.

Monday, December 20, 2010

what is christmas really about?

I was really disappointed the other day when I was listening to the radio. Unlike most of my friends, I listen to a lot of Christian radio (the Fish, K-Love, Air1, etc.).

This time I was unimpressed. I turned on the radio and I heard these words, "...We need to remember that Christmas isn't about us, Christmas is all about..." I got all excited! One of my stations is gonna get the Gospel out by telling everyone that Christmas is about Jesus!

But no.

Instead what I heard was, "Christmas is all about giving." Now, while in a way this is true, because Jesus was the gift of God to the world, I don't think they got it right. They went on to explain how we should be looking for ways to serve and give, which is great, but they were missing the main part of the message. I don't care about giving. I don't care about serving. UNLESS it's about Jesus.

If it's about Jesus, I'm all in. What is Christmas about for you? Is it about giving a bunch of presents to everyone so they have gifts under the tree? Or is it about the Ultimate Gift that came through Jesus? Is it about the Christ that came to save a dying world, or is Christmas something we do?

If you want to read a good poem along these lines you can find an excellent piece, written by Mrs. Marcia Reavely, here.

My challenge to you is this: make this Christmas all about Jesus, because without Him, Christmas means nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment